Laurie
Two days until I head to SD to look for apartments and I'm still striking out on the online search. I thought I'd hit a gold mine today when I found a cluster of places along the coast in Pacific Beach. The first (Casa Del Mar) received terrible reviews due to a Nazi like enforcement of insane rules (no pets, no bikes, no noise, no smoke), but when I realized that not only do I not want any pets, bikes, noise or smoke, but also don't want my neighbors to have them either, this seemed like a good deal. I also found the highly rated Pacific Heights apartments, where I was even able to make a reservation for an apartment just steps from the beach.

Oh, but there's a catch. I'm one of those people that can't make a decision unless she's consulted at least three sources (throwback to the MLA days in college), and consulting my sources led me to the sad truth that Pacific Beach (along with Mission Beach and Ocean Beach) are known as places where surfers, stoners, and spring breakers congregate in droves. I'm beginning to understand Casa Del Mar's Nazi regulations. They're trying to create a safe haven for people who live in PB and really wish they didn't. And so I'm back to square one dudes.

La Jolla seems to be the place to go, particularly if its bordering neighborhoods of OB, MB and PB are sweeping up all the wild college students in a big affordable housing net. UTC and Golden Triangle are also not leaving my list just yet, but I've heard you deal with a lot of traffic and noise all day/night long. Sadly, that dumpy little place in the backyard of the country club (La Jolla Riviera) is turning out to be my most promising option. At least, they're the only place that doesn't have bad reviews (they don't have any good ones either). I'll make a few more calls tomorrow, but after that I'm leaving it up to decide when I actually get to the city. I can't make any judgements based on conflicting reviews (except for the one place where seven separate reviewers all mentioned persistent dog poop in the hallways).

This may just be another case of my impossibly high standards. Why can't I live near the beach but far from the beach-goers?
0 Responses

Post a Comment